Question
Posted by: Miempie | 2006/07/20

THORAC

My son is 22 months. His chest has an "indention" between the ribs and we were advised to go to a thorac specialist. Please provide more info, if possible regarding the cause of this, when operation is needed?…… Craniosynostosis was done on 5 weeks. Does this indicate problems with his general development?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Your son's condition is known as Marfan's Syndrome and it is often associated with a congenital anomaly.

Surgery is occasionally recommended to correct an indented chest if it presses severely on the heart or lungs. Some people, without significant heart or lung problems may elect to have corrective chest surgery for purely cosmetic reasons.

Heart problems may occur because the Marfan's syndrome may cause leakage of the mitral or aortic heart valves. These valves control the flow of blood through the heart. Defects of the mitral valve may cause shortness of breath, an irregular pulse, and undue tiredness.

This is not the field of Chiropractic and I would advise that you be guided by your Paediatrician in the consultation of specialists in this specific field.

1
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/11/20

Graag wil ek meer weet oor craniosynostosis. My kleindogter word die 26ste geopereer. Wat kan ons verwag en wat behels die nasorg.

Reply to Marietjie