Question
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/21

This dog food issue

I have lost 4 cats this month ... 3 rescue kittens and my old tabby who loved to nibble ona dog biscuit ..... 1 of the kittens the one I posted about also likeed a dog biscuit .... the other two babies were sick from the start and I knew their chances were remote.

I think my two dogs can go onto the old style of pet food .. pap and pets mince ..it may not be healthy but at least its safe ...... I cant help wondering if I lost two cats to contaminated food .... !!!!!!!

im totally fed up , and it only dawned on me last night that it could have been the vets choice !!!!!!!! the batch I bought fell into the danger batch .......

If your dogs were eating the Vets Choice manufactured between 8 March and 11 April 2007 please take them to your vet and have them blood tested. Royal Canin is paying for tests done on animals that may be at risk from kidney disease following eating food that may have contained the melamine.

With regards to the cats, the only way to confirm this suspicion is to have blood and urine tests done or a post mortem examination.

When formulating food for your pets, please remember cats are carnivores and don't need carbohydrates.

3
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/21

Hi Carol!

I am so sorry about your kitten and tabby. You said "old tabby". How old is that exactly? I had a silver cat Blossom who was going on for 17, she was fine until one day I found her hanging her head over the water bowl and wouldn't move. I rushed her to the vet but he said she had total renal failure, could give her an injection but I was only prolonging her agony as she wouldn't recover. So a decision had to be made....... She was such a character, tolerated some of the older cats to lie with or near her but chased away the 'young ones'. I still miss her and it is more than 9 months ago. I won't even speak about the Staffied that died 6 months ago. MY heart is pining for her - she was 12 and I had hoped to have her until 14 or 15. It is not for us to say, alas.

Keep your chin up!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/21

WR that is the burning question isnt it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two little rescues I can understand they were sick to start off with , very young and i didnt have much hope ..... my old tabby is the mystery .... he was a fine fat happy cat .... he seemed to be battling to pee and the next day he was dead .......

The little ginger one apparently had "kitten fading syndrome" .... but he was ahealthy kitten ..its bugging me because Freddy and little ging both ate dog biscuits .....

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/21

Hi Carol!

Sorry to hear that!
What did your kitties die of?

Good luck!

Reply to WR