Question
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/16

This diet of mine just isnt workin!

Hi there! I'm battling to lose weight. I'm 1.6m short, and weigh 65kg. I know I should be weighing about 55kg for my height and frame. But I don't know what I'm doing wrong in my diet, I'm trying to be as healthy as I can! For breakfast I generally eat muesli and yoghurt, for lunch it's generally a salad or something from the night before, and then for supper its generally some form of pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, screw noodles with chicken or some concoction my sister made up...really good though). Then during the day I generally snack on fruit; apples, bananas, pears, oranges ( I normally have like 2 or 3 bananas a day), it's normally about 5 fruit a day. And I drink 2 litres of water (don't drink tea or coffee or fizzy stuff), and I've been having a smoothie every day lately for the past week. Please can you tell me what I can fiz in my diet to help me lose the weight I need to lose to get healthy! Oh, and I dance for an hour and a half every Tuesday night (Latin/Ballroom). Thank-you so much!!!!!

Dear Rene
Seeing that your BMI = 25,4, you can try losing some weight. 56 kg would give you your ideal BMI of 22. Your energy intake may be higher than required for weight loss or you may be eating too little food to produce weight loss (the body switches off its weight loss systems when it perceives that it is being starved) or you may be able to promote additional weight loss by doing some form of exercise every day. If you continue with this diet and increase your exercise to 30 min a day (additional dancing or going for brisk walks) and you are still not losing any weight after 2 weeks, then I would suggest that you have a medical chekup to see if you have a hormone imbalance (female hormones, thyroid, insulin). If this should be the case, then the dr will either prescribe hormonal treatment or you may have to use a diet with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.

2
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/18

Thank-you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!!

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Dave | 2004/10/17

You might be one of the 20% or so of people who need a protein diet, rather than a carbohydrate rich diet.

The conventional wisdom, i.e. that you should have a "low-fat, high fibre, kilojoule restricted" diet to lose weight DOES NOT WORK for everyone on the planet.

In fact, a low-fat diet is the LEAST effective way of losing weight. And the popular belief that saturated animal fats cause coronary heart disease is just NOT supported by the research.

Read up about this on www (dot) mercola.com

Reply to Dave