Question
Posted by: atlantic | 2005/05/29

thin and toned - now out of fashion?

I'm a 31 yr old female, took one look at myself in jan and changed diet plus gymmed hectically to lose weight. 5kg came off I'm now at 50 kg, I'm 1,69m with 19% bf and tho I feel much better everyone says I've overdone it and am now thin and unnattractive. What are my stats supposed to be? Where do you draw the line between being happy with what you look like and taking into consideration other ppl's opinions? I was approx 54kg pre-pregnancy, 2 yrs ago. Their argument is that its unhealthy for a woman to weigh less than she did before she had a baby. I gained 23 kilos during pregnancy and feel that to have taken it all off (albeit over 2 yrs) plus now weigh less than I did before having a large baby is a phenomenal achievement. I'm now thin and toned - is this the new unnattractive body? The only person complimenting me on my new body is myself :(

Hi Atlantic

The most basic guide on the 'ideal' body weight is the BMI, which is equal to weight divided by height (m) squared. The ideal would be between 20 and 25 (a wide range, admittedly), and yours is equal to 17.5, and so yes, that is very low. For your height, in otherwords, you are very underweight, and so perhaps you have overdone it slightly. Having said that, some people can eat very normally, and there's nothing untoward, but they just cannot gain anymore weight. If this is your situation and you have achieved this weight loss through good eating habits and regular exercise, then I actually think there is only a limited amount you can do. HOwever, if you have lost this weight and now find that in order to maintain it, you have to watch what you eat like a hawk and you have to exercise religiously whenever you can, then that's a problem and that is where I would draw the line. It's difficult, but certainly you are very light for you height, and so I would encourage you to look at increase your mass, perhaps by looking first and diet. If your diet is adequate, not lacking in anything at all, then maybe exercise can be looked at (I'm not sure what you have done with regards to exercise). I think the best is to see a dietician about the diet though, and then take it from there.

Anything between 55kg and 65 kg would actually be normal, although as I said, that may not be possible and so just deal first with your diet and then see what happens from that.

3
Posted by: Marty | 2005/06/02

Optimal weight, does it exist? Think about this, are you happy with your weight? Are you obsessed to look like a supermodel? It doesnt matter how heavy/light you are, if you are happy with how you look you have reached optimal weight :) Who cares what the magazines say ...

Your BMI is a bit low, but that could be due to your naturally high metabolism (I know I have one, went from 17 BMI to 24 with a proper weighttraining program)

Reply to Marty
Posted by: atlantic | 2005/06/01

thank you so much both of you, yr comments have been most helpful :)

Reply to atlantic
Posted by: annie | 2005/05/30

dear atlantic,

i might be wrong, but i think that you're supposed to weigh in the region of 65 - 70kg!! pls check on the website. im 1.68m & my goal is at least to go down to 70kg. im on 78kg now.

take care!

Reply to annie