Posted by: Sally | 2009/05/05

Thermogenics 2

Hi Doc,

thermogenics are tablets that supposably rev your metabolism and aid in burning fat.

I weigh 57kgs, am 1.75m tall and I' m 22 years old but I' m wobbly.

I have added some extra time to daily exercise, adding more and more slowly but surely (fitness doc said I' m on the right track). I have virtually cut out red meat and I have added 3 veggies to every supper. I cook with little/no oil. I have added a mid morning snack of provitas/yoghurt to raise my daily meals to 4 a day. I have added a multivitamin and an extra 500 mls of water a day. I' m not sure what else I should be doing but I believe I' m on the right path.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sally
Ok now I understand. I am personally not convinced that any of these supposed 'Fat burners' work. Looking at your details, I must tell you that you do NOT need to lose more weight because your present BMI = 18,6 which is already in the underweight range. For an ideal BMI of 22 you should actually weigh 67 kg! So while it is a good idea to do plenty of exercises that tighten up your muscles if you are 'wobbly', you should NOT reduce your energy intake. Make sure that you don't get an iron deficiency if you cut out all your red meat as this can lead to anaemia. Lean meat should still be eaten at least 3 times a week to ensure that you obtain sufficient iron to prevent anaemia (this is particularly important for young women). You also need at least 3 tablespoons of poly- or monounsaturated oil or margarine a day because human beings do need some fats, especially the so-called 'essential fats' like poly- and monounsaturated fat (e.g. olive or canola oil or soft tub margarine). So by all means do your exercises, but don't cut down on your food intake as this could pave the way to anorexia and that is NOT a road you want to go.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.