Question
Posted by: Anon2 | 2007/11/29

Therapy

Dear CS
You have recommended CBT to help me deal with my anxiety and depression. After thousands and thousands of rand spent on therapy, I believe I’m now receiving the right kind of therapy. I'm not saying that the other types of therapy didn't help at all, but I'm amazed at the rapid improvement in my condition. Maybe I will even be able to stop the Bipolar meds soon. Thank you very, very much!

Thanks very much for your message. I'm sure many regular readers wonder why I keep on so specifically and stubbornly recommending CBT and NOT recommending the other wishy-washy varieties of "therapy" that are on offer. And thanks for reminding us all why I do so --- (a) IT WORKS in a very large proportion of situations, and (b) the other varieties generally DON'T WORk. ANd psychoanalytic models certainkly don't work and can waste enormous amounts of money without getting anywhere useful. Nobody has the time or money to waste on unrealistic methods which don't work, and nobody ought to remain feeling miserable when they could be feeling otherwise and doing more pleasant and constructive things.
Above all, this method is realistic, down-to-earth, and includes its own systems of assessing progress, whereas too many other varieties can muddle on for ages without recognizing that one isn't getting anywhere.
Therapy is meant to be effective and within a reasonable time-span, it is not meant to be a pension scheme for the therapist.
Delighted to hear of your progress --- well done ! --- and I hope it is continued. Keep the emds as a backstop, available if and when needed in the future, while using your CBT methods to maintain daily stability

1
Posted by: eat | 2007/11/29

CS stop bragging yes you did good we get it.

Reply to eat