Question
Posted by: me | 2005/12/05

therapy

i suffered mental abuse as a child & early adulthood. The problem is I'm still battling to cope with life. I tried pschotherapy but just talking is not helping the depression is still effecting me. What other alternative therapy is there i.e regression , Hypnotherapy. I'm just tired hopeless suicidal i don't see any therapist on the internet specialising in Adult survivors of abuse or mental abuse. please help
I notice I get really weepy sometimes when I think of the bad things in my life?

Empty talking therapy, of the old-fashioned analytical models, is totally useless and a waste of money. This is why I am enthusiastic about the proved effectiveness and practicality of CBT. Hypnotherapy is almost always total quackery and has no possible benefit in treating Depression or the results of abuse --- and can be highly dangerous and damging in tthose situations. It is bvest to work with a therapist who does NOT specialize in adult survivors of abuse, as the few that do tend to produce much worse results than the average good CBT therapist, and too often have their own obsessions leading the treatment, rather than your individual needs.

2
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/12/06

I have the same background and had a whole lot of therapy, it helped. but what helped the most was deciding to no longer be a victim.
You have to turn the switch in your mind, only you can do that.
Once you decide, this far and no futher, you regain your power and can then decide what you have to do. I found talking about it to people in a similar situation helped a lot, because there are always those that had it much worse than you did and that helps.
So see if you can find a group that meets once a week or whatever. Usually these are led by a competent person.
Much success.

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/05

Sorry you had such a difficult childhood......... all those regression therapies and hypnotherapies aren't really any good... regression therapy ends up creating more confusion for most people... you don't need to spend time talking about your past... or finding out about your past... you need to learn how to cope NOW... and how to build a happier, more stable future.... and there are therapists who practice CBT which will help you...
It really is possible to come out of your situation as a true survivor... without the depression that you so often feel.... good luck!!!

Reply to ...