Posted by: Lou | 2004/10/05


Hi doc,

I suffered severe emotional abuse & at the age of 24 I still struggle to cope with normal life. I have been in therapy but I'm not sure if it is the right choice.

Which would you reccomend a psychiatrist or Psychologist?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Actually, Lou, that's too general a question to give a specific answer to. What you need is a GOOD shrink, probably someone skilled at psychotherapy so probably more likely to be a psychologist. My next criterion might sound rather odd --- although you experienced abuse, I would NOT recommend a therapist who specialises in adult survivors of abuse or who has a fierce interest in such problems. There are various very good reasons for this, especially because too many of that type of therapist are a bi fanatical about the issue, and riding their own bandwagon, and because they focus far too much and too unproductively on the past, rather than focussing as they should, on helping youi to cope with normal life in the present.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.