Question
Posted by: Peter | 2005/12/07

The Will to Live

The Voctor Frankl story posted by another member of the forum refers. Where does one find the will to live, the will to overcome your despair, do you create a dream of the life that you want in future and that keeps you going or what ? The will to overcome your despair ? I wish there was a pill you could take, that gave you the will, but there is not. So where do we find this will to live or overcome ?

If there was a pill which could achieve that, the achievement would be too trivial to be worth pursuing. This is where psychotherapy / counselling is needed, to understand and overcomem one's despair, plan the life you want to lead, and plan how to get there from here. CBT !
Yes, read Frankl's books, too, and have a checkup as if there is something like a Depression getting in tthe way, it needs to be cleared up to enable you to do the rest of what is required, effectively and eficiently.

4
Posted by: lerita | 2005/12/07

According to Victor Frankl you must set yourself a goal. His goal was to see his family one day and that gave him the meaning of life. Yes it is difficult with so much despair around. Once my one goal is finish, I always work towards another goal (short term and long term goals). The other leg is to be greatful for the little we have.

Reply to lerita
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/07

there isn't a pill that gives you will... but there is definitely medication which can assist you.... anti depressants in conjunction with therapy... can set you on the right path to finding that which gives YOU the will to live.....

Reply to ...
Posted by: Jenny (aka Nadine) | 2005/12/07

-- Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy --

Anne Frank (1929 - 1945)

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)
Posted by: blompot | 2005/12/07

Viktor Frankl theory is existentialistic. Like Freud is psycho annalistic and Pavlov’s is behavioristic. All of these gentleman’s theories where based on their situations, beliefs, non beliefs, theories of others etc etc. In my humble opinion all psychological theories have value – and we should take out of it the wisdom that works for each of us

I can see where your question comes from – where can I get the will to live if I just fee this utter despair. This is were Frankls theory maybe says that in some instances people can get develop ability to “rise above the situation” as he did with his particular ordeal – being in a hell hole of a concentration camp. I think he worded mankind’s inherent life force – survival.

And if one does not have that motivating, drive, feeling inside oneself – as we all sometimes do feel. We need to ask for help of others to get us trough tough times so that we can survive!

Reply to blompot