Posted by: Jane | 2008/10/09

The weight just won' t budge!

I'  m a 28 year old woman - For 2 months I went to the gym after work 4-5 times a week (combo of strength &  cardio training). I wasn'  t losing any weight so I decided to hire a personal trainer and a dietician to achieve results in a healthy way. My diet before that wasn'  t particularly healthy, I'  d sometimes (quite often actually!) eat cereal for dinner because I'  m always on the go, but overall I never ate much. For 8 weeks I'  ve trained with my personal trainer 3 times a week for an hour, cardio for 45-60 mins twice a week and followed my 5 small meals diet 95%, having the odd glass of wine or half a desert when I'  m out. In the first week I lost just over a 1kg but thereafter I either stayed the same or gained some. My dietician told me that I wasn'  t eating enough (I keep a food diary) so I included 2 extra carbs (up to 5) and another protein and the result was I put on a kg in that week. She does a test that measures lean muscle, water and fat and although I'  m gaining muscle I also increase fat. I tried doing cardio and strength training on the same day to do more exercise but I was totally exhausted! I yo-yo dieted when I was younger a bit also. The only time I'  ve ever lost weight is by serious deprivation but that'  s just not sustainable, nor healthy. Have I wrecked my metabolism forever? I discovered about 3 years ago that I'  m allergic to wheat which results in excess acid being produced in my stomach and the only way to feel better was to eat which is probably why I started out as overweight but the tons of doctors I went to never tested for it. If I compare what I eat to what my friends eat it'  s significantly less and if I ever have a chocolate or drink wine or any other cheat I put on weight, whereas for everybody else it'  s a normal part of their diet. I don'  t drink sugar in coffee, softdrinks, fried foods or any of the other no-no'  s but I'  m always about 6kg'  s overweight. I can'  t cut out any more hence the decision to go to a dietician. I previously went on weigh-less and for the first 3 consecutive weeks I put on weight. I stopped that and went back to limited eating to maintain my weight. I now also carry much more weight around my mid section which i never used to and I don' t think I' m quite old enough for a middle aged spread! Neither my trainer nor my dietician can understand why I'  m not losing about a kg a week, even after 8 weeks, which is I'  m sure enough of a settling in period. I'  m spending a fortune in money and energy and I'  m not seeing results except that my muscles are more toned underneath the fat, so I can only feel them, not see them. If anything my thighs and arms are bigger because the muscles are more toned but the fat has stayed the same hence I simply look bigger! I don' t want to stop working out but don' t want to just keep on getting bigger either! Needless to say I'  m pretty demotivated! Reducing calories and increasing activity isn' t working for me! I'  m putting so much effort into exercise alone I should lose weight even with the odd cheat here and there. I'  ve struggled with my weight since my early teens, or at least that'  s when it started being a problem for me, and I'  m tired of this viscious cycle. I'  m on Cymbalta antidepressant but the side effect of that, it seems, is usually weight loss so it can'  t be that. I'  ve been off the pill for well over a year so it can'  t be that either. I can'  t cut out anything from my diet or exercise any more, so any advice on possible explanations or what I can do? Sorry it' s been a bit of a long one!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Jane

You have metabolic dysfunction - please see your doctor to test your hormone levels.

Take care