Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2004/10/20

The way we feel

I had a very happy childhood - but all my life I have had this incredible feeling of loneliness. I remember in primary school feeling alone and then in high school I used to walk home from school and feel incredibly sad. I'm not sure if sad is the right word to describe what I felt. These feelings have carried on right through even until today. I am now 42 yrs old. I have often wondered why I feel so incredibly "alone/sad". I have tried to dig deeper into my thoughts to find out why i have always felt like this. Maybe there is more to us than flesh and blood. Our minds must really be incredible because i cannot fathom out what starts my thoughts of loneliness. Meloncholy. I hate the passing of time. I hate time. As if we are losing something. But why would i feel this when I was only 9 years old and its never gone away?

The other day my daughter said that she was at school and all she wanted to do was come home. Her mood that day made me think of me when I was little. I wonder if she felt the same way I did?

It would be a good idea to see a psychotherapist, as that's the process for most efficiently and usefully re-examining such aspects of one's life, and drawing useful conclusions from them. One of the many reasons why this is a valuable process, is that in some ways, using only your own mind to examine your own mind, is like trying to closely examine a magnifying glass, with itself.
One can inherit a vulnerability to depression ( a vulnerability, not a certainty ).

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Hi Jenny,

I could very well be that she felt the same way you did as I did read once that depression can be genetic. I am sure CS will atest to this?
I can relate a bit to your posting, & often still find myself wanting/needing more in the way of feelings.
Yes, there is definitely more to us than flesh & blood as you say.
I tend to believe that we kinda find it easier to understand things when they are tangible/physical in nature. Meaning we can touch, hear, smell or see them, but the mind is something we can do none of this to... Thats why I think its harder for us to understand the workings of our minds. There is so much going on in there but not much of it we can explain. Well to someone like me anyway.
Have you ever consulted with a professional to try & get the assistance you need? I would suggest that seeing as you've had first hand experience of what it feels like, & you are seeing signs of it in your daughter, would it not be advisable for you to get her the professional attention she may need? Even if you arrange a consultation & it turns out she may not need it, then wouldn't you feel more comfortable in that you are trying to give her better than what you went through?

A further suggestion, always listen to what children have to say, besides the fact that you were also 1 at one time in your life, you may just be surprised at what you hear...

Good luck Jenny,
Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun