Question
Posted by: addiction | 2007/12/12

the sweet thing

Hi. I try and eat every 3 hours, but in between, I get this funny taste in my mouth and I need a sweet. Then when I think of sweets my saliva starts to flow. The sweet then becomes like a drug... I cant stop thinking about it until I have it. This is becoming a big problem for me. How do I stop?

Dear Addiction
This may be a learned habit that is now getting out of hand, or you may be eating too few carbohydrates thus lowering your serotonin levels in the brain. I would suggest that you try chewing artificially sweetened chewing gum to see if this is just a habit. The chewing gum also tastes sweet and can be used to 'fool' the system, without continuously adding extra kJ to your energy intake and potentially flooding your system with sugar. However if your diet is lacking sufficient carbs then do try to eat a low-GI carb at every second meal to sustain your brain serotonin levels. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. If this does not help, then I would recommend that you see a clinical psychologist to find out why you need to seek 'comfort' in sweets.
Holding thumbs that you can break the vicious cycle