Question
Posted by: KW | 2007/03/21

The Shakes

I am overweight and taking metformin. My doc says that I'm not diabetic, but on my way to getting it. I am exercising and trying to lose weight. Yesterday I had a terrible episode in the morning. I woke up feeling irritable, had oats for breakfast, but had the shakes. I felt really odd and almost feint. I then started to lose some vision (all this took place over about 2 hours). For the rest of the day I had a terrible headache. Was this a migraine or is it about diabetes?

Dear KW
It could have been low bloodsugar or migraine - usually migraine won't make you cold clammy and shaky. Oats are not low GI - if you want to eat oats, add oatbran to make it low GI. You have to stick to things like hi bulk bran, low GI bread, Ryebread instead.