Question
Posted by: Marlene | 2006/04/04

The safety of Ultrasound Scans

Dear Doc,

More than a year ago I fell pregnant and was diagnosed with a "Blighted Ovum" after going for an ultrasound at 6 weeks pregnancy. My Gynae performed a D & C to clean everyting out. It has taken me a year to fall pregnant again. I am now 7 weeks pregnant. When should I book an appointment for my first Ultrasound scan?
I have been advised that Internal Scans are more harmful for your pregnancy and unborn baby than External Scans - is this true?
I am petrified of doing anything wrong this time to jeapordize my pregnancy.

There is no truth in that. Scans are safe vaginal and abdominal. You will feel better after the scan knowing what is going on

1
Posted by: lou | 2006/04/04

Hi Marlene

OB/Gyn's generally dont do internal scans for pregnant women,so you dont need to worry about that. Scans are not harmful to the unborn baby, and in fact are very beneficial as they can detect abnormalities etc that would go unknown otherwise.
I had monthly scans when I was pregnant and 2 weekly and then 1 weekly in the last few weeks and I had a big healthy bouncy baby who is now a healthy intelligent 6 year old!!

Reply to lou