Question
Posted by: Funkydredz | 2005/07/20

The right program to lose weight

I've recently joined a gym and a consultant designed a program for me according to my needs, which is toning ad losing weight. the problem is that i don't find the exercises challenging at all. i do lunges, circuit training, and rowing. at the end, i've hardly worked up any sweat and my fear is that i won't reach my goals at this rate. what exercises do you recommend for losing weight and toning?

Dear Funkydredz,

You cannot "rush" weight loss and muscle toning, as your body has certain physiologic limits in which to burn fat and build muscle. Consultants are trained in what they do, and I would give the present programme 4-6 weeks before switching to another. My only suggestion would be to switch the rowing with another cardiovascular exercise that is more challenging for you: like running or spinning. A healthy diet -and eating less calories than you burn during exercise - can accelerate weight loss from fat, which can also make you look more "tone" because there will be less fat hiding those shapely muscles!

Good Luck and BE PATIENT! Good things take time.