Question
Posted by: Lonely | 2005/12/13

The quiet corner office

Day after day I sit in front of my pc. I am a web programmer and my boss is the owner of our company's daughter. She's a total poppie and comes and goes as she pleases. We get on ok when she's around, but I am Soooo lonely since most of the time - at least 60% - it's just me on my lonesome working through specs. I am really starting to hate the isolation of my job and should probably switch companies. I stay alone as well and often just watch tv in the evenings. I have a gf and we see each other about once or twice a week. I'm 29.

What are genuine signs that I'm becoming seriously socially deskilled?

I: just guessing wildly here, but maybe the boss is the daughter of the guy who owns the company, rather than owning his daughter ? Seems a shame to have to go into an office, to be alone most of the time. No other employees ? Sounds like you could as well be working from home.
lets see now, signs of becoming socially de-skilled. That's a good one. When you burp, and find you've apologised to the coffee machine ? When you meet someone in the lift, and they ask "How are you?" and you actuallly start to tell them how you are ?

3
Posted by: Lonely | 2005/12/13

My boss is the daughter to the owner of the company. A small double entendre, apparently.. :-)

Frusty, I have a few friends. I was going to a local church so met some people through that, but Johannesburg is so different to Cape Town. I enjoy it here, but I guess it would be easier to adjust to the style of living if I was more involved. I took this job in Boksburg, not realising how removed it was from everywhere and remained here out of some sense of loyalty.. Oops.. That's you just asking how I am and me actually telling you.

ok, so new year's resolutions include to start participating in a social sport, join an art class, take dancing lessons (it can't be so difficult) and start my b.com. That should allow me to interact a lot.

Reply to Lonely
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/13

Well, Lonely, my question to you is, do you not have any friends with whom you can go out for a meal with or see a movie or something? You need to get out. Join a gym or a sports club or take up a hobby that interests you. My other suggestion is, if you are alone in the office, put a radio on.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: JAY | 2005/12/13

HI,
JUST LOOK INTO YOURSELF AND FIND THOSE SKILLS(WHETHER SPORT, JOINING A GYM, MAKING SOME FRIENDS FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS, ANY HOBBIES,
WHICH MAY INVOLVE INTERACTION WITH PEOPLE MAY HELP.
HOPE THIS HELPS

Reply to JAY