Question
Posted by: mandy. | 2007/07/27

"the pill" used as morning after pill.

I was told by my doctor that "the pill" (normal monthly contraceptive pill) could be used as the morning after pill for emergencies. My question is, if I have taken two of "the pill" and then another two 12 hours later as my doctor advised, am I meant to have my period a few days after that even if my last period was barely a week ago? If my period hasn't come yet does that mean that the emergency contraception method hasn't worked?

Dear Mandy

The first part of the question is correct in that the normal oral contraceptive can be used as an emergency pill as well and in the dosage that you have utilised. However it is not always necessary to await a withdrawal bleed although this may occur in some cases without any untoward fact.