Question
Posted by: Gigi | 2004/11/01

The Pill as contraception

I have never been on the pill - I'm 23 and want to start using it, but I have no idea which will be best suited. I'm not on medical aid - so I want to know what my options are before making an appointment with my GP - and I also want to know if my GP can prescribe the pill or whether I need to see a Gynea. I'm really worried about the different side effects of the pill eg. weight gain, loss of labido etc. can you tell me more about these, and also which brands is best suited for someone starting on the pill for the first time?

Have a look under Contraception on this site. There is a lot of information on the pros and cons of the Pill. Your GP can prescribe it. Triphasil or Femodene would be reasonable to start with.