Question
Posted by: Cars | 2003/03/08

The pill and meals

I complained to my doctor that I was bleeding during my month and he said that it was as a result of my taking the pill at dinner time. Why does teating when you take the pill affect the pill? Does it make it any more unreliable?

It doesn't matter what time you take your Pill and eating should not interfere with the efficacy of the Pill or cause breakthrough bleeding. If this has happened on a number of occasions, you may need a pill with more oestrogen. You should also have a gynaecological check-up and pap smear if you have not had one recently, as the bleeding may have nothing to do with the Pill.