Question
Posted by: wandering betty | 2004/12/09

the pill and diabetes

I am planning on having sex for the first time. I am not quite ready yet but decided that i need to start finding out about preventing pregnancy since we want to do it the natural way with no pulling out and condoms (both STD free). I have been reading that the combind pill is the best but they keep on mentioning diabetes. I am insulin resistant and take diabetic pills for it, so i just want to know if it will influence the effectiveness of the pill. Also if it can somehow worsen my condition. thank you very much

Your medication will not affect the efficacy of the Pill. It is thought that the Pill may decrease the effectiveness of some diabetic agents slightly. This does not mean that you cannot use it, but you will have to have careful monitoring by a doctor.