Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2004/10/03

The mirror does lie.

"The mirror is not you. The mirror is you looking at yourself." ~George Balanchine

And after I watched the "gothika"-movie I understood it even better: when I look in the mirror, what I see is as distorted as if someone had thrown a glass of water onto the surface of the mirror.
I'm now trying to say something positive about my character (really hard) to myself each time I look at myself. It probably sounds daft but strangely it's working!!

Hi Belinda,
I'm sure it can indeed be helpful. Some pals of mine in London did some elegant reseach, also, showing that people with eating disorders have a distorted self-image, and tend to see themselves as wider, heavier, etc., than they really are. So any process which helps us to get this bias against ourselves, corrected, should help. What we se in the mirror tends to be what we expect to see ; so if we change the expectation and interpretation, we can change what we see.

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/10/04

Belinda
Hi, it makes more sense then you know the words you are writing - the mirror does lie i agree,

Reply to Kasandra