Question
Posted by: Liza | 2005/12/05

The kids and Christmas

After gaining custody 5 months ago, my sons are now both above average academically. The youngest has a report card that most parents can only dream about. The oldest has improved from a below average level, to an above average level and still shows no signs of slowing down his progress.

So now being a very proud mom, I went to the shops and splashed out. I went and got them absolutely everything on their letters to Santa. (except the quad bikes. That was just too way out). All right down to a packet of marshmallows for my youngest. Okay, so I only spent around 10% of my monthly salary before deductions, but is it too much?

How much do other moms here spend on their children for christmas presents?

Very understandable --- and make sure, though, that the response isn't merely materialist, and tell them in different ways, how proud you are of how very well they BOTH have done

6
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/05

glad to hear that things have worked out so nicely for you.......
if your mom is practical and never spoils herself then why don't you treat her to a day at a spa... all the massages and facials... it's one of my favourite presents to give to people... and always goes down so well.

Reply to ...
Posted by: Liza | 2005/12/05

I agree that not everyone should get a present because its one persons' birthday. That is why I don't make a big do out of birthdays. Money is spent on the birthday party instead. They usually get something educational and relatively cheap. But Christmas, everyone gets presents.

Still not sure what to get my mom. She's very practical, so she'll probably appreciate some new clothes. She almost never buys for herself.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: lady nina | 2005/12/05

hi girl

well done - see everything was worth is
you have reason to be proud -OF YOURSELF!!

hope you brought yourself somethign as well .....

all depends on the bonus and what is left after the debt is paid in full and school uniforms are done but i normally try fro about R400.00 - last year they added their pocket money so they could get dvd players and more expensive stuff

i prefer one big decent persent to all the small cheapy's
xmas is a time to spoil and reward them for all the lhard work they did during the year

but then i also give to the less fortunate - this year we are giving ( the kids of their pocket money) to buy food for the lady who raised my mom after her own mother died of breast cancer - liebet is now in her 90's and her own daughter has breat cancer - so yes it's important that xmas is not only a time of receiving but giving to those who have less

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/12/05

My viewpoint is that Christmas is not the time to splash out on big gifts. We normally try to make something or we go together to get what is small but really precious for the person - not in terms of value.

Bithdays with us are normally the bicycle type gifts

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: ZeeZee | 2005/12/05

I have only one kid and I spoil him rotten over Chrismas and even if he is just the only child he is not a spoiled brat.He is getting a quad bike this year. I don't think there is anything wrong to spoil you're kids once in a while. I think it is a personal thing and if you can afford it why not. I also think that your'e kids deserved it so don't beat yourself up over it. Think of those happy faces when they open their pressies

Reply to ZeeZee
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/05

Eish....

I spend tooo much I think, about R500 - R600 but then I only have one child.

I know G buys them what they want being PSP or whatever - I think it depends on income ?

Reply to CP Mom