Question
Posted by: Bongo | 2004/12/21

The injection and prolonged heavy menstruation

I am very confused. i went on the injection for 5 months and never had a period for those five mnths, then i stopped it in July and from the end of August to early November i had my period every two weeks. So i started the injection again, i went on the 2 month. Now mid december i have my period and its been there for 7 days now. It changes colour from time to time and i am worried because surely i shouldnt have it anyway. Please could someone help...

It is common after stopping the injection to have some irregular bleeding. 20% of women do still have periods on the injectable. I would suggest you wait and see what happens in the next 3 months. It is, of course, important to have regular pap smears and gynae checks to ensure that there si no other cause for the bleeding.