Question
Posted by: AnnelieT | 2005/11/23

The effect of a car accident on my 17 month old baby

We were in a car accident friday night. Luckily no one got seriously hurt, but I am worried about the effect the accident will have on my boy. Just after the accident, he cried horribly until we got out of the car, and then he was calm afterwards.

But from sunday he is very clingy, and cries over nothing. He scares very easily and then I struggle to calm him down.

My GP prescribed something to calm him down a bit.

What else can I do ?

Well, I'm not sure ab out giving kids any form of tranquillizer to calm them down, unless a child psychiatrist makes the prescription. Your little boy's responses sound very normal. HE was surely frightened by what happened ; and kids are often also frightened by the impact of such events on their parents --- the more anxious and scared you are, the more scared he may feel. He is protected to a useful degree by being little able, at his age, to understand exactly what happened and how much worse it all could have been. Facing any major stress, kids typically "regress", and start behaving like they did a little younger, for a time --- hence more clinging, etc.
Try to deal with your own feelings, because your own anxiety he will pick up on, and the calmer you are, the sooner he will calm down. be available, affectionate, and, as suggested, offer pleasant distractions in gentle entertainment

5
Posted by: AnnelieT | 2005/11/24

Thank you for your help!

Reply to AnnelieT
Posted by: Friend | 2005/11/24

Buy him a nice book with animals or show him some nice kiddies video Barney or teletubbies. Take him to the zoo. It's only shock, you need to stimulate him with positive things. He'll be better soon.

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Tango | 2005/11/24

Sorry about the accident. I agree with Aletta. That is his way of showing you he also got a huge fright and experienced your shock and fear as well. Lots of love and cuddles will see him through! And I hope you are getting some too!

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Aletta | 2005/11/23

Shame Annelie, he probably had such a fright, poor little thing. What a terrible thing to have happen to someone so young!
I am so glad you all came out of it OK, now there is something to be grateful for.
It is surely an after-effect of the shock it must have been for him, so he would feel a little insecure. Just give him lots of love, and let him cling as much as he needs to. He will soon realise that all is OK and go back to how he was.
Hang in there, thinking of you.

Reply to Aletta
Posted by: S | 2005/11/23

Shame poor thing,maybe he's still in shock. Has he done xrays?

Reply to S