Posted by: Judy | 2008/09/11

The Diet Everyone Talks About

How does this diet compare to the Weigh-Less diet and is it a safe diet or is there some health concerns? I' ve been on this diet for 3 months and have lost 18kg so far and I feel great! On this diet strawberries &  watermelon they categorize as a Carbohydrate, is this correct?

Dear Judy
The Diet Everyone is Talking About is basically a high-protein, high-fat diet similar to the Atkins diet. If it works for you then well and good, but I would never recommend that anyone should use this diet for longer than 2 weeks at a maximum. the reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. Please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy. The Weigh-Less diet makes use of all the food groups and is therefore regarded as a well balanced diet which will cause weightloss without causing harm.
Strawberries and watermelon contain tiny amounts of carbs, so they really don't count as a source of carbohydrates.

Posted by: Mickey | 2009/02/25

Hi. I am a 35-year old female. In the last year I have picked up a substantial amount of weight for no apparent reason. I am eating more healthily as my cholesterol is high, but I am still putting on weight, and cannot seem to lose it!
Please help!

Reply to Mickey
Posted by: katie | 2008/09/30

would like a copy of this diet being a dietician interested how easily you loose 6kg per month which I know what was the patient weight when she started of and does it comply to the food pyramid. thank you.

Reply to katie
Posted by: Lala | 2008/09/12

Hey Judy

Which diet are you on? pls tell me , you lost so much in just three months ,

Reply to Lala