Question
Posted by: Bettina | 2003/12/03

Thanks for the info re Kava-Kave, BUT!!! >>>

I am already taking Solgar's strong Vit B (50 mg per tablet of all the main B Complex elements, and all the rest) plus extra folacin. The problem is, and I cannot get a satisfactory answer, is why the Pacific islanders (of wherever!) can chew the kava root daily and not drop dead of liver failure. This is the ONLY product, including the damn tranquillisers, who ever made me feel like MYSELF again. So yes, I'm somewhat bitter and twisted, because it WORKED!! Now I'm back to square one. IS THE PRODUCT REALLY DANGEROUS, or is this again a famous "American scare"?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Dear Bettina

Liver related risks assciated with the use of Kava have prompted regulatory agencies in other countries, including those in Germany, Switzerland, France, Canada, USA and the UK, to take action ranging from warning consumers about the potential risks of Kava use to removing Kava containing products from the market place. Although liver damage appears to be rare, the SA Medicine Control Council believes consumers should be informed of this potential risk and that it is inadvisable to continue to use preparations containing Kava.