Question
Posted by: G | 2004/01/17

Thank you YogaDoc<br>

Thank you for replying so quickly, thought I was going to have to wait for at least a week. But I do have some bad news. I miscarried shortly after I posted the message in the forum. Now have severe abominal cramping, can I do anyting yoga wise??

Expert ImageYoga

Dear G - I am very sorry to hear your news, the truth is that you do have to be careful with doing anything during those critical first three months during which time the embryo implants in the uterus. As you are no doubt aware there is a high incidence of miscarriage during this period and women who have a history of miscarriage or of cervical insufficiency should probably not begin the practice of yoga during this time. At all times you need to practice with awareness, listening to your body and being careful not to get tired, fatigued or injured. You need to practice very carefully at this time - paying particular attention to the abdominal region as you massage and heal yourself. I suggest you take a look at this http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/767_1.cfm for some reference reading and pick up a book like BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" which will have remedial yoga postures and/or look for post natal postures and practices. Postures like Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle) and Upavista Konansana (Wide Angle) will help release the muscles.
All of the very best.
Chris