Posted by: Concerned daughter | 2008/07/03

Thank you CS, for your advise, I have conveyed your advice to my brother and he has said he will try and talk to her, she does want to come to SA, but for outrageous reasons! wanting to buy appliances and face lifts and boob jobs! she is so not herself. I have also been in contact with Crescent Clinic and they are prepared to do a full assesment with her. CS can this be treated? And will she become our normal mom again?

Mabe she would be comforted if she was told that its nowadays impossible ( and it generally ought to be so ) to have plastic surgery of the sort she's thinking about, without a careful psychiatric evaluation, too, to make sure that the person really needs the surgery and will be happy with the results. This is ( or should be ) true, and could encourage her to see the necessary shrink. I understand your closing questions, and wish I could give a definite answer. The ebst answer is "Probably". As we don['t know exactly what is wrong, we can't be sure what treatment will be needed, and how effective it will be. If, for instance, this is Bipolar Disorder, some people respond brilliantly to the first treatment tried, and tohers may need to try some different meds to regain control, but the broad outlook can be rather good.