Question
Posted by: Concerned Wife | 2007/12/18

Thank You

To all

Wishing you a Merry Xmas and to all those that have been praying for us as we went through a hard time with the amputation of Des’s leg and the chemo he is going through at the moment. It has been a miracle that he is doing so well. 2007 has been quite a year, celebrating 10 years of marriage, inheriting a kitten from the tenant going through two surgeries on Des’s leg and before finally coming to the conclusion what the cause of his discomfort was, Soft Tissue Sarcoma in the calf. To save his life an amputation was the only answer. Des joked that he can now go to Kings Park Stadium with at least two beers hidden in his leg. Well if we can’t joke about it we will be crying about that. I have learnt a lot from Des’s amputation and have gained strength literally (you must see what I’m doing that I never did before). I am also literally driving Des around the bends; he thinks my driving skills need some working on. When I see some children staring and pointing in our direction, at first I took offence then came to the conclusion they are only curious, I still have to urge to tell them if they don’t eat their vegetables that is what will happen but yet to say it. Don’t have the heart. About two weeks ago we were looking at some Hyndai vehicles on display at Knowles Spar in Pinetown when one old man came up to my husband and tapped him on the shoulder and asked what happen to Des’s leg and asked was it from a motorbike accident. This guy was arrogant thinking the worst. When Des told him he lost his leg to Cancer, this guy a total stranger with a white beard put his hand on Des shoulder and said he will pray for him and walked off to his car. I think he became very humble after that.

We thank the team of doctors that have been advising us through all the steps we have gone through and the advice they gave us, I think we had the best team thanks to Dr Mair (Orthopedic), Dr Strachan (Surgeon), Dr Darryl Grobbelaar (Prosthesist) and his physio and rehabilitation assistant, Dr Heslop (Oncologist) the psychologist forgot her name, also not to forget the nurses and sisters at Entabeni hospital and finally Proffessor Affelshtat (cannot spell it out) of Cape Town. We can’t thank them enough. You can send this message on to those that have been thinking and praying for us as we do not have their e-mail addresses. We are still waiting for a prosthetic leg and then he will be up and about in no time. Hope I haven’t missed anybody out.

HI Concerned Wife

Thank you for the wishes, you humble me because I did so little, other than give out advice that ultimately was faceless and nameless and could not be of more help! But your story is tremendously touching, and to have come back often to give the updates on Des' progress and your state of mind has been very inspiring.

I am delighted to hear that things are going well. I can imagine that it must be very difficult, but the lessons you have learned already indicate that even something so apparently terrible serves a higher purpose, not only for you, but for those you touch and inspire. I encourage you to keep learning, to keep smiling and joking about it - not to trivialise it, of course, but to inspire others, because one can only really see people's true colours in times of adversity - everyone can be happy when things are going well, but to remain positive, to keep your head up in times of sadness, that's the mark of true character.

And both you and your husband have true character.

Thank you once again, and good luck over the Christmas and New Year period! Continue to inspire everyone, and teach people how to face adversity!

God bless
Ross