Question
Posted by: Shelley Anderson | 2005/01/07

I think i am slightly pilates nuts! Our Instructor came back and did a class with us called "New York Pilates" it had to be one of the most intense classes i have ever done! my question though, is that Pilates on Steroids? I honestly doubt anyone could keep holding like that the whole duration of the class. Not saying that if i cant no one can, but i have been doing pilates for 7yrs, 3 times a week sometimes more and i took serious amounts of strain, i dont feel like that is how pilates should be taught. felt like i was back at Virgin Active doing a spinning session!

Just thought i would ask what you thought, and is this going to be the direction pilates is moving in?

Expert ImageArchive

I think you already doubt the benefit of such a high intensity Pilates class - I would be extrememly careful doing "over the top" classes. Remember that you don't need pain to have gain - Pilates is unique in that it does isolate and then integrate the function of a very important set of deep postural and protective muscles. There are two ways in which to switch off those muscles - go fast or go very hard! Pilates is meant to be challenging and create flowing effortless movement habits.

Be thoughtful and precise with each movement, if you are unsure ask what the intention of the exercise is. If your trainer can't answer that, find another one who can.

Good luck and stay Pilates nuts!
James