Question

Tests before I get pregnant

We are thinking about stopping the pill and falling pregnant within the next six months (i'm 30). I have been on the pill for about 15 years and still have severe pain with every period. Are there any tests that should be run before I fall pregnant - apart from a normal pap smear and HIV test. For example, I've heard that folic acid is reduced when you're on the pill - do you need to test for appropriate levels? Also, since I still have severe period pains, will this affect the pregancy in any way?

You should check that you are immune to rubella. There is no value in checking folate levels, just start taking folate tablets. The period pains should not affect your pregnancy.

3
Posted by: lonely | 2005/07/07

You can speak to your gynae to check if you have any cysts and he can recommend you to a fertility clinic to check other things example if your tubes might be blocked or your homone & blood levels..

GOODLUCK

Reply to lonely
Posted by: landi | 2005/07/06

it is good to have yourselve tested to establish how immune you are against german measles.

Reply to landi
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/06

Hi there,

I dont think there are any other tests you need to undergo. But maybe make a gynae appointment and discuss it with him as he would now your history a little better. All i can recommend is a healthy diet and to start taking your folic acid which is important for your baby.

Take care!

Reply to Lee