Question
Posted by: Mrs JK | 2004/12/05

Tests

Is it unusual for a woman of 56 yrs not to have gone through menopause?
I had bleeding problems and a D & C was done in Sept 2003.
My period stopped for 4 months after the op, but since April 2004, I have beeb bleeding for 2 weeks at a time and only 6 days non-blleeding in between

My blood test showed FSH (or FHS?) of 2.3 and estrogen of 1153. What does this mean?
My gynae seemed to be surprised.

Kindly advise

What does this mean?

Yes, it is unusual for a woman of your age not to have gone through the menopause. The blood results indicate that you are not menopausal, unless you are taking some kind of medication that could influence the result. You are also having abnormal bleeding. It would be useful to know the results of the D&C. It might also be worth having a scan of the ovaries to see whether there are any abnormal cysts there.