Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/11/08

Testing for allergens

Dear Doc

After diagnosing my baby (who is now 18-months old) with a diary allergy causing eczema and ear problems, we put her onto a Soya formula. This stopped the ear infections cold and she's been fine except for worsening eczema. Recently however, with the onset of spring and some construction behind our complex, she has been breaking out in itchy bumps (white on red skin not unlike mosquito bites). I realise that this is an allergic reaction as I usually give her some Allergix and apply calamine lotion to soothe the skin - combined these help - but the attacks are getting worse.
Going to the pead. has resulted in endless cortisone creams, which I believe thins the skin and I really would like to find the cause instead of just treating the symptoms.
What should I do now? Book a dermatologist or where do I go to have allergies tested - can I have her tested or should I wait until she's older?
Please help as I really would like to ease her discomfort. Thank you.

Concerned, the problem with testing for allergies is what to test for. He can be allergic to anything, so once the basic tests (inhalants and paediatric food mix) have been done it becomes very difficult to decide what to do next. The next step would probably be to see a dermatologist and hopefully he will be able to give you an answer. Good luck.