Question
Posted by: Hilary | 2007/03/15

Test result-your opinion

Dear Dr

Thank you for your excellent service on this forum.

I am 34 years old and ttc for 3 years. I am scheduled for AI this weekend. I was put on medication and had to go for a D13 blood test (this morning):

The results came back as follows:

FSH: 6.2
LH:3.3
Estradiol: 1682

I am hoping to ovulate between tomorrow/Sat morning.

Are above readings good and should I ovulate by then

Dear Hilary

The high oestradial level is in keeping with several follicles having developed. However, the other two levels remain low and therefore are most likely in the pre-ovulatory phase.

In all probability ovulation would be occurring fairly soon. In our practice we utilise ultrasound scanning and in some cases we induce ovulation by specific injections, so as to ensure that ovulation does indeed occur. However, the timing of the injections has to be extremely precise, so as to get the release of extremely matured eggs and adequate endometrial lining (lining of the womb).

In your case perhaps a slight amount of pain or tenderness on both sides of the lower abdomen might be indicative of ovulation occurring but is not specific. Alternately a home urinary pregnancy test could have been employed to assist in the timing of ovulation.

1
Posted by: Nix | 2007/03/16

If you're having AI your doctor should give you an HCG trigger shot, which will make sure you ovulate 36 hours after the injection. This is quite standard with AI and my fertility specialist always gives a trigger shot. It makes sure you do ovulate and helps with the timing as you know exactly when your egg is being released.

Good luck!

Reply to Nix