Question
Posted by: este | 2006/10/31

test for thyroid insulin resistance, ch

I wonder if you can help me. I have used Eltroxin for 30 years always at the same dosage of .05mg. I do have a blood test every year or so to make sure it is still adequate but I think my doctor has become careless about it. I am in menopause. I know I feel more and more tired, which I realise could be for several reasons.
Now as far as I can get out of my doctor, just a basic thyroid and pinprick blood sugar test is done. From all my reading I think this is insufficient but I need someone to give me the words to tell my doctor exactly which tests I want done, and how. I say how because he doesn't seem to care whether I am fasting or not etc.
My questions: 1. If I am permanently on Eltroxin, must |I take it on the morning I have the blood taken for thyroid test? Whatever the case, does this need to be written on the blood test form? Should I be fasting except water for the thyroid test?
2. For insulin resistance test, must I be fasting? Does that include no water? What is the exact procedure? Does Eltroxin have any effect on this test?
3. For cholesterol, I take an OTC called Feminesse which has black cohosh and Policosanol?a sugar cane extract that controls cholesterol. When I have blood tests must I not take this the morning of the test, or do I have to not take it some time before the test, to get a true reading of my cholesterol? What is the proper cholesterol test (not just pinprick) procedure? Does this have to be written on the test form?

Dear Este
You don't have to be fasting for thyroid tests and preferably you should do the test before taking your pill in the morning - always good to do TSH, T3 and T4
For Insulin resistance you should preferably be fasting for 12 hours - water is fine to use and it must be mentioned on your form that you are taking Eltroxin.
Cholesterol should also be done fasting for at least 12 hours , you can have a test called a LIPOGRAM where they test all the different fats in the body not just the cholesterol levels.

Ask your doctor to send you to a lab for:
Thyroid function tests
Fasting blood sugar and insulin levels
Lipogram
Go early in the morning and be fasting for 12 hours ( you may drink water)

1
Posted by: anxious | 2006/10/31

How do you know your doctor is not doing the right thing? You dont have the medical knowledge or experience to know what tests you should be having. That's why laboratories will not accept patients just pitching up for types of blood tests without them being referred by a doctor, because more than likely patients would be asking for expensive, unnecessary testing.

Saying your doctor is becoming careless is a serious allegation and, if you are so certain of this, why aren't you approaching your doctor about this? He would expect you to come up with strong reasons for your accusations, which would be understandable. Looking on the internet hardly indicates that certain procedures should apply to your particular case. Does he know you are taking OTC medication?

A more mature approach would be to approach him and discuss the tests that ARE necessary for you to have and NOT what YOU think you should be having.

Doctors do not do unnecessary, expensive tests. At the same time they do do what they feel is necessary.

Reply to anxious