Question
Posted by: Alida | 2005/07/05

Tertroxin vs Eltroxin

I had a thyroid op when I was 15 years old.They did not remove the whole thyroid. I am now 42.

My TSH function is below normal and has been for the last couple of years, i.e. between 0.01 and 0.03. I take two 1mg Eltroxin daily. I weigh 85 kg.

I have been told that I am a candidate for tertroxin as it works on both the T3 and T4 and not just one of them as is the case with eltroxin.

Apparently I have the classic symptoms of metabolic syndrome and therefore eltroxin is insufficient.

What is tertroxin?

Will tertroxin improve the normal working of the thyroid and will it also help me to lose weight?

Thanking you in anticipation!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Alida,

Your thyroid produces two hormones, thyroxine (T4, or Levothyroxine) and triiodothyronine (T3, or Liothyronine). The Tertroxin that you have been prescribed contains liothyronine (T3), whereas Eltroxin contains Levothyroxine (T4). T4 and T3 are used to replace natural production of thyroid hormones if loss is due to disease or in your case, an operation. Another tablet called,Diotroxin contains both T3 and T4.
Tertroxin is changed in the bloodstream to thyroxine, and very quickly (faster that eltroxin) replenishes the body's low levels of this hormone. Tertroxin does not improve the normal working of the thyroid but supplements what the thyroid does not produce.

Amongst others, weight gain may be a result of hypothyroidism, a disease in which the thyroid gland is underactive and does not produce enough thyroxine, a hormone which is important for controlling your metabolism. Should tertroxin be able resolve the hypothyroidism, and should the weight gain that you are experiencing be due to the slow metabolism caused by hypothyroidism, the chance do exist that it may help you lose weight.

5
Posted by: Jenny | 2015/11/18

I'm really confused about T3 and T4. Which one of these do I need in order to stop my hair from falling and help it regrow? I'm currently on eltroxin. Wht else do I need to take? Thank you kindly

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: JANE | 2013/07/15

I AM ON ELTROXIN 0.50mg. AND TETROXIN AND STILL HAVING PROBLEM TO LOSE WEIGHT. I GAIN WEIGHT SO QUICKLY OVERNIGHT I CAN GAIN 1KG. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU COULD HELP ME.

Reply to JANE
Posted by: Sam | 2005/07/27

I have been diagnosed with a underactive thyroid. my blood count was "9", which is considered as low. What is considered as "normal" blood counts (T3 /T4)?

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Alida | 2005/07/06

I have been to so many doctors and have kept all my results. This was the diagnosis of an endocrinologist friend who saw all the years' results and said what I explained last night. My GP prescribed tertroxin for me today. Now we have to wait and see.

I am also following the TLC diet and have now lost 10kg. But it has been very slow.

I need to take the eltroxin in conjunction with the tertroxin. Will keep you posted!

Reply to Alida
Posted by: mimi | 2005/07/06

did you see an endocrinologist? who gave you this diagnosis?

let me know also struggling with my thyroid also take elthroxin but have heard this other one is better.

Reply to mimi