Question
Posted by: Jeano | 2007/07/11

Terrible cramps in legs and feet

Hi Doc I am 57 yrs female. I have always suffered from cramping in my calf muscles but the last few months have been extreme. If I stand on my toes to reach up my calf muscles IMMEDIATELY go into cramp/spasm. The inner sides of my feet go into cramp causing my toes to pull downwards and to the side, lately even one would go underneath the one next to it. Everyone I have spoken to says that this is a lack of salt in my diet. Could I please have your opinion as it is really getting too much.

Dear Jeano
I think it would be prudent to see a medical doctor about the severe cramps you suffer from, just to make sure that there is not an underlying physical problem. Most South Africans do not easily develop a salt or sodium deficiency, unless they have kidney problems, because the western diet is so rich (too rich in many cases) in salt. Other nutrients that may affect muscle contraction are: potassium, calcium and magnesium. Ask the dr to test for these minerals. If you should be deficient in any one of these minerals, the dr will prescribe the necessary supplements.