Question
Posted by: Blue | 2005/11/21

Tension Headache

The other day i had this headache which started with pains from the back of my neck and shoulders and then they started on the lower jaws. I felt crazy like i could just scream and i was so shacky. I dont know how it happend i just know that lately i had something worrying me. The thing is i went to the this doctor who thought it might be meningitis and told me to come the next day that he told me it might be something related to bronchitis and then stress.

It didnt make any sense to me so the following day i went to the other doctor who told me that its tension headache. Exactly what is that and what causes it and from your point of view what would you say was wrong with me.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Blue,

When someone gets a severe headache like yours, there is a correct way to diagnose what is wrong, and it must be done by properly qualified people. You have to have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper hands on diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. (Unfortunately the information you have supplied is not sufficient to make a diagnosis). If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

2
Posted by: Awie | 2006/01/09

Headache starts from the back of my head then the pain moves to the lower left side of my head. Severe nausia. lasts2 - 3 days. "megraine -|- tail" tables hardly help Is there a "migraine" prevention diet to follow?

Reply to Awie
Posted by: pabi | 2006/01/09

Please e-mail more info about tension headache, cause I also experience horrible headaches all the time.

Reply to pabi