Question
Posted by: george | 2007/04/05

temporaral head aches

good day dr.i have suffered from sever head aches for over two years continously.the aches are on the left side of my head,i notice the facial muscles on the left sideof my face twitch.what could be wrong witj me.i am allergic to dust,fumes,strong perfumes, pollen and have taken antihistamians but the head aches still linger.what could be wrong with me.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear George,

The headaches combined with facial twitching may be a sign that you have increased muscle tension on that side of your face. This can be associated with an uneven bite, but not always. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.