Question
Posted by: JA | 2003/02/17

Temper problems

Hello. I recently was left by my girlfriend of 2 years. We were very much in love and serious about each other and where we were giong together. However, I am a very protective, strong-headed person who got very easily upset in some of our discussions and arguments. I realise now I put alot of pressure upon her and my short temper and sometimes harshness in our arguments has lead her to be afraid of me and eventually to leave me. I do love this woman very much and we both realise we had a great realationship, but that I put alot of strain on it with my ways. Is there any place I can get help for my behaviour. Some sort of discussion group or councelling for tempers, etc. I realise I have made serious mistakes and I do not want this to happen again to anyone I love and care for. Apart from the person I love and I hope to share my life with, I also wish not to have this happen with any of my famliy and close friends. I look forward to hearing your response. Many thanks.

Dear JA,
Sounds like you've formed a more mature and sensible assessment of the status of your problem, and a realisic view of hy something needs to be done about it, for everyone's benefit. Now, I'm not aware of any general discussion or self-help group focussing on this specific and not uncommon problem ( maybe some folks tried to set up a Temper Tantrums Anonymous, but quarrelled too often to form a committee ? )
What would most probably help would be for you to see a shrink --- a psychologist, perhaps best one working with Cognitive-behaviour Therapy, for counselling to work through the relevant issues with you, and to focus on finding better ways of dealing with the situatons that prove annoying for you.