Question
Posted by: Lill | 2005/07/13

Tegretol and Bipolar2

Just wanted to know if anyone here has benn on Tegretol and if so, what side effects and what benefits have you experienced?

Also looking for some info on Bipolar2... I was told by my shrink today that he thought I had bipolar2. It has kind of sent me into a spinn and am trying to find out any details...

thanx

A.

I don't undrstand the current empty fashiopn for some shrinks to pla butterfly collector and subdivide types of Bipolar Disorder, before there is any useful evidence that the treatment or outlook will be any different --- it usually means that some drug company is marketing a diagnosis, so as to try to claim that THEIR drug is better for it, and improve sales.
if you have Bipolar Disorder, you have Bipolar Disorder, and don't get alarmed about the games some shrinks play about different varities of the disorder, which is yet to be shown to make any difference to treatment, results, or to your life. As you'll have gathered, I am very deeply sceptical about such empty fashions, and I'm still waiting for good evidence that this subdividing is a useful activity.
Tegretol is, like several other drugs used successfully in treating Bipolar Disorder, originally an anti-epileptic drug, later found to be also valuable in Bipolar Disorder. The connection isn't too surprising, as in both conditions one would want to stabilize chemical sysstems within the brain.

4
Posted by: lerita | 2005/07/14

I am on tegretol for 14 years now. I am successfully using this for the treatment of epilepsy. It is mainly used for epilepsy but can also be used for depression. I used a lot of epilepsy drugs before but was stabelized on this. My neurologist call tegretol the cream de la cream of all epilepsy drugs. You may feel a bit tired at the end of a day but I also use a good multivitamen with it. I also had 2 successfull pregnancies while taking this drug. Tegretol and other epilepsy drugs MAY cause spinal defects in foetuses. But to counteract this you can drink some folic acid while pregnant. What Keen says is true. Dont get stuck on a label. The dr have to find medication that suits you. And lets hope that tegretol works for you. If tegretol will help you to live a full life so be it.

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Keen | 2005/07/14

Tegretol is used to treat epilepsy, but can also be used to treat people who suffer from bipolar disorder. I know a few people who are on it, and the worst symptom is that they felt very tired the first few weeks, but it went away with time.

If you are going to take it, give it some time and don't give up. It has been a life saving med for many and is well known in the medical community.

Don't get too stuck on a label...we are all unique and we all have different ways of dealing with situations. Don't worry too much about the label of being bipolar...Just take your meds...take one day at a time and give yourself an outlet for your feelings/emotions....

Reply to Keen
Posted by: Liza | 2005/07/14

Bipolar 2 means that you have manic episodes and depressed episodes. In contrast, Bipolar 1 means that you get mixed episodes where you're depressed and manic at the same time.

I've never been on Tegretol, so I can't tell you more than what the package insert can. Don't worry too much about being diagnosed. There are plenty of us around, living fulfilling lives.

Hope this helps.
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: stt | 2005/07/13

Hi i was told about 18 months ago that i was bipolar and till today i am trying to find out why me and i have been only different kind of meds to contol it .it has taken a long time to find the right meds and you know what i still battle but i will survive i have to no matter what happens out thier. Just take a long look at yourself and say i will be fine

Reply to stt