Question
Posted by: Rialene | 2003/12/08

Teething problems

What is the most common signs of teething? My baby is having a few more dirty nappies than usual, and is not sleeping well at night, but has no fever or other pain that I can detect? Is it safe to assume that he is teething? He is almost 8 mnths old.

Dear Rialene
Teething can make babies irritable and cause a number of symptoms such as sleeplessness, restlessness, fever and diarrhoea. It is, however, always safer to have the child checked by your gp to make sure that he has not got another condition such as an ear or throat infection. If he is about to teethe then his gums would look red and swollen and he would probably produce more saliva and bite toys in an attempt to relieve the condition. There are products on the market that one can rub into the gums to relieve the irritation (ask your chemist).