Question
Posted by: Chane | 2008/02/01

Teething & bleeding gums

My is 15months he is cutting his eye teeth at the moment. i brush his teeth every morning, but the past two days his gums are very swollen and they bleed. Does my child maby have infected gums, or is this normal and what can I use.

Dear Chane
Teething is a most painful and distressing condition for small children. I would not bursh my child's teeth while the eye teeth are erupting and he is also ready bleeding. Rather get him to rinse out his mouth with a gentle mouthwash and ask the chemist for a medication to rub on his sore gums (e.g. Teegel, etc). I don't think he has infected gums, but the brushing may be aggravating the condition.