Question
Posted by: Liz123 | 2006/11/08

teenagers/holiday

I just would like to have your opinions on 16 year old teenagers (boys) that want to go down to the coast on their own camping. No adult supervision. I feel very uncomfortable with the idée. (I have tried to get accommodation – but no luck). They would be traveling down with a bus. If I say no, apparently I would be the only mom doing this.

Good responses all round. I also think he's too young to be going off on his own --- and maybe i's the other moms who are being too complacent

6
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/11/08

I also think it's too young. All the boys are most probably using the same guilt trip on their own parents - telling them that they're the only parent to say no.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Jenine | 2006/11/08

That is very very young to be going on holiday alone with friends. I wasn't even allowed a matric holiday. Now I'm really glad I didn't go because I've heard such horrible stories about girls being kidnapped and raped - I think there was a story a while back about a girl - can't really remember.
But anyway, when my brother was in matric he wanted to go on a matric holiday with about 9 or 10 of his friends. All the mothers came together and held a meeting about this. Not sure if that was such a great idea because the bad apple's mother thinks he's a sweet little innocent angel who might get hurt or get bullied (LOL, if she only knew...).
What I'm trying to get at is if you are uncomfortable with this why don't you contact the other parents and talk to them about it. Moms usually have a sixth sense about these things and they are usually right, no matter if he's mad at you - he'll get over it. After all you are the parent?
Good luck, I know my parents didn't have it easy with me & my brother! :-)

Reply to Jenine
Posted by: Buzz | 2006/11/08

Hi Liz, in my opinion he's definitely not ready to holiday on his own! Follow your instincts!

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: kat | 2006/11/08

also you must look at the relationship you have with your son, if i think back when i was that age my mom would have let me go with and the other parents would have prefered it to coz for as much of a bad influence i was i would watch my friends like a halk, to make sure that they were ok and didnt do anything to get them into trouble. what was good for me wasnt good for them and they knew it i was a bit like the big sister. so see what type of son you have and if you can trust him maybe its not about age but about him as an induvidule.

Reply to kat
Posted by: kat | 2006/11/08

follow your gut on this one, one day they will thank you.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Nicky | 2006/11/08

Hi there ,
I agree with you 16 year old alone camping so much is going to happen their believe me they have it all planned already.
I would just like to say one thing what ever decision you make for your kids do it as you think best because you are their Mother. No matter if the world is going ,,,you decide they must stay then so be it. After all its for their best interest and thats what you should explain to them. Have a heart to heart talk with them and explain how you feel regarding them being on their own on the coast....Good luck.

Best regards,

Reply to Nicky