Question
Posted by: Lala | 2007/06/13

Teenagers :

My boy is 15, he stole my car and drove 280 km to his girlfriend.<br><br>Now after finding him, bringing him home, we try to keep it quite but it seems to me he is telling everybody about it, and his friends thinks he is a hero. This ws the 3rd time taking the car without us knowing it. <br><br>I am angry not sure how to deal with this, I took his cellphone, speek to the school as his schoolwork deteriorated since he met her and he is also seeing a school psychologist.. He is in Grade 10 now. He feels that his sister is getting all the attention as she is a good academic and sports person. He is also doing well with sports and we as parents do everything with them. I am not sure what he expect more from us as my whole live is going for the children only. <br><br>I need some help as how to handle him. I can't sleep at night not sure what is he going to do next. He was always the quite kid not having any hussles before. This seems to me the beginning of big trouble. We did speek to him the 2nd time he took the car, telling him what could have happened when he is caught, but it seems to me did not help.<br><br>

Expert ImageTeen expert

It sounds as if your son is seriously out of control and I would suggest considering in-patient treatment for him. He is clearly angry as his behaviours are a form of acting out and he is simply not listening to you.

Whilst seeing a school psychologist can help start the process, it seems that he needs a more intensive intervention if this is not to escalate further. The comments made about school psychologists being "no good" are unhelpful and untrue, many school psychologists make a huge difference to the young people in their care.

I am not sure where you are in the country, but one very good adolescent unit based in Cape Town is Kenilworth Clinic's KAYA unit. They can be contacted on 021 763 4500

Your concerns are real and your fears about this getting worse need to be heard. I advise that you act now.

Threats, hitting him etc will only make the situation worse all you will teach him is violence is the only way to deal with difficult situations and then it will come back on you in the future.

3
Posted by: Pam | 2007/06/28

Honestly take him for a drug test perhaps he has got involved with this girl because she has introduced him to the world of drugs. The Drugs situation in this country is scary and never say my child will never do that. The way you explain your son sounds to me like he has tried and is enjoying the drug life. I pray it is not the case but just have him tested for peace of mind.
Good Luck with your situation.

Reply to Pam
Posted by: 555 | 2007/06/13

school pychiatrists dont know crap, take him to a real one. Make it clear to him that you and your husband work hard to take care of him, you cook the food that he eats everyday, you give him a roof to sleep under, cloths and basically everything about a billion other people dont have and wish they did. Get him into christianity maybe. I know a lot of people whom I am friends with who used to get home at about 3am drunk as hell and do things like you say your son is. Now they are religions and mature and know that it is just stupid. His friends are idiot for thinking hes so cool now. He could have crashed or hit someone else. People like your son piss me off, because its people like them who decide so go joy riding and then crash into my parents and ruin an entire familys life.

Reply to 555
Posted by: Chris | 2007/06/13

Bliksem hom tannie!!!

Reply to Chris