Question
Posted by: Liz | 2007/02/21

Teenager Needs To Gain Weight

I have a seventeen year old son who is genetically skinny and lean. He's just started a simple weight training programme and we've been told that he needs to eat 6-8 times in order to gain some weight. As he is in school, this is not always easy and he tends to be lazy and forget to eat. I really need to come up with an eating plan that will gradually build weight on him and be healthy and easy to maintain. Could you recommend a plan or website etc (I'm not on medical aid and cannot afford a dietician).

Dear Liz
Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost energy intake. Basically your son needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If he uses a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week.