Question
Posted by: Liz | 2004/11/21

teenage son

Hi Doc. My son is 14 going on 15 and his voice has not broken. His is still reacting as an 12 year old. I'm worried as all his friends are mature teenagers, and somehow he is just way far behind. I understand that kids develop at diffrent levels and ages, but he whats to be there with them - but just cannot cope - as he is still a kid. Help please!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Liz,

as you said different children develop at different ages, and in many cases as hard as it can be it a process of waiting. Are the males in your family or your husbands typically late developers?

It is particularly difficult for your son as he is at an age where the peer group is so important. He is still within the normal range for puberty onset however.

Although it may be that he simply has to wait longer to develop, it would also be worth checking things out with your family doctor.

If he is struggling emotionally I would also consider him seeing a Psychologist so that he has someone to speak about these stresses to.