Question
Posted by: CHINA | 2004/11/18

Teenage & Contraceptive

I would like to find out which contraceptive method is advisable for teenagers, Not sure if she is sexual active & if she is ,not sure if she's taking any precautions , people has advice me to put her on the pill please help ?

The Pill or the injection would be the best options. Condoms would be important to prevent STDs.

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/18

China,

I think these days an unwanted pregnancy is the least of the risks a young person runs when being sexually active. She needs to understand the risks of STD and AIDS if she is sexually active or planning to become.

Schedule an appointment with a gynae for a pap smear and use the opportunity to encourage her to ask any questions regarding contraception, effects and prevention of STD's, effects of sexual activity at a young age (physically, emotionally, etc.).

By just providing contraceptives, you are only protecting her against pregnancy and not against all the other (nasty) implications of indiscriminate sexual conduct. Knowledge is power so by having someone inform her of the risks and consequences you will be empowering her. Also tell her to come to you when she wants to make that step (if she hasn't yet) and make clear your willingness to provide contraceptives and responsible health care (yearly gynae exams etc.)

I would like to commend you for being so open-minded and pro-active. All the best!

Reply to Golly