Question
Posted by: Vims | 2005/11/30

Teen Pregnancy -How come?

I have read about the correct timing of intercourse at ovulation to conceive. What I would like to know is how come a teenager who maybe even just had sex once become pregnant yet there are those of us who have been trying for a while with no success. Timing intercourse every month, watching our cervical fluid, BBt etc. But no joy :-( Please someone help me to understand further.

Most people actually do not watch for ovulation and time intercourse, they just fall pregnant. It is the minority who 'try' so hard. Remember also that ovulation does not always occur at the expected time of the month.
In terms of famine, there is a difference in acute starvation for a few months, which is usually what happens in a famine and chronic underweightness. In the first, women fall pregnant but babies are growth retarded, in the second, ovualtion is interefered with and pregnancy is less likely.

3
Posted by: Vims | 2005/11/30

Thanks for that very informative response, Purple.

I never thought about famine victims. But now that you brought it up I hope the Doc will perhaps have an answer.

Reply to Vims
Posted by: Purple | 2005/11/30

Fertility declines as you get older - it doesn't just suddenly start declining at 35, so teenagers are just a lot more fertile than women in their mid twenties, early thirties or later.

The pill is 97% effective - so there is a 3% chance that you will still ovulate. Also some people forget they have taken antibiotics, or had diarhea or vomited and then don't use a condom for two weeks.

Condoms are 99% effective - so there is a 1% chance that you will fall pregnant. Also, yes, they sometimes have holes in them, or they tear, or they slip off, or the guy stays inside afterwards and sperm seeps out the side.

Also, don't forget that the sperm can live inside you for about 3-5 days, and that the date of ovulation is never precise - as you are trying to work it out in advance of your period arriving, based on your previous periods date.

The only way to entierely avoid pregnancy is to abstain completely.

What I've always wondered about though, is that if you don't eat very healthy or you have anorexia or bulimia you mess up your fertility - sometimes permanently, yet famine victims seem to have no trouble falling pregnant at all.

It is quite interesting though.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Dee | 2005/11/30

I’ve often thought of that aswell. I guess that’s life, when the times right it will happen that’s what I believe! Another thing I cant get over is how can people fall pregnant on the pill? That’s meant to stop ovulation altogether. And another one that really gets me is a friend of mine fell pregnant when her and her husband were using condoms, so that means there was a hole in it and probably like 10 sperm got through, and went all the way to get to an egg. Strange!!!

Reply to Dee