Question
Posted by: Mom | 2004/10/20

teen pregnancy costs

My son's girlfriend (16) is pregnant. She and her parents want to keep the baby. We want her to consider adoption as my son is only 17 and neither of them can fend for the baby. Should she keep the baby, who is responsible for the costs involved in bringing up the child?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

whilst it would be better for both parents and their families to discuss the best way forward, it is ultimately her decision whether she wants to keep her child. Other people can advise her, but she is the mother of the child.

Legally both parents are responsible for the costs involved in bringing up the child and your son may be requested to pay maintainence.

In the eyes of the law, if you have created a child then you are responsible for the child.

The best approach would be for you all to discuss what needs to happen in relation to caring for this baby.